Saturday, March 07, 2009

What's all this talk about leadership?

I've been meaning to write about leadership. I mean, that seems to be the word--the concept--that no one dare question or gainsay, right? Not in Christian circles, anyhow. Except of course Brant Hansen.

I'm very interested in the missional church movement, but have you noticed that most of its big-name writers and bloggers (dare I say, its "leaders") are always talking about leadership?

I just have to say it: leadership schmeadership!

I mean, some of us are, well, I know it doesn't sound nearly as cool, but, well, we really have no desire to "lead". None. Zilch. We long ago bottomed out on the whole leadership thing. Is that ok?

I've been to leadership conferences. That's where they sell the leadership books--you know, read this book and become the leader you always wanted to be, or God always wanted you to be, or your wife always wanted you to be. Or something. Everybody says, well, what we really mean by leadership is "serving." Which always makes me wonder, why not just call it that then? Ummm, why not just shut up and serve?

Not that I mind other people leading. Pastoring, heading up ministries, etc. Some people seem especially equipped for that sort of thing. Fine. Go for it.

Perhaps much of the promotion of "leadership" in the churches is simply born of the need to have lots of "vibrant and active" ministries, coupled with the simple reality that there are not enough people willing to "serve" in those ministries. Not enough Sunday school teachers. Not enough soup kitchen volunteers. So somewhere along the way this idea comes along: let's not ask people to serve. Let's ask 'em to lead! Let's call them leaders and tell them how God is equipping them for leadership, etc. And let's not ever ask the question that fairly begs to be asked: if everyone is called to leadership, who will the followers be?

My take: it's just a lot of fashionable talk. It doesn't match up well with the Bible. And it won't go away as long as people keep harboring the suspicion that they're just not adequate Christians and need to be prodded to new levels of heroic leadership (or whatever) in order to feel good about themselves (or to believe God feels good about them).

That's what I think. Hope no one's leadership feathers got ruffled by all this. If so, sorry.

[Next up: What's the big deal about U2?]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, i suppose some very stiff feathers are probably being ruffled here.

David Cooke said...

Thanks. Made me smile and think-a good combination. David