Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Apocalyptic Prophecy Rag

If I were ever going to rant about something on this blog, I mean really let 'er rip, I'd rant about the self-proclaimed prophets of our day. I've often thought about doing this, but I always back off because, well, it's not polite to rant.

Well, Michael Spencer has done the job for me. Really, if you care about the church, these contemporary prophets are doing it more harm than all the atheistic best sellers put together. They are false, they are wolves disguised as sheep, serving their own bellies rather than Christ. That's what I think of the general run of prophetic types (none of whom I intend to name or link to, but they're hawking their wares all over the web).

You would think that it would hurt their cause that they are consistently wrong in their prognostications, but that does not seem to be the case. They are under no authority, so they need never confess the harm their false prophecies have done.

Anyway, look, I'm doing what I said I wouldn't do. Ranting! But Michael's rant is a quality example of the form. Plus he gets a lot more interesting comments than I do, so if you're interested in this topic, by all means get yourself over there and read.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, it was quite the rant.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of surprised you're so upset about David Wilkerson's warning. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but, dang, he's been a Christian longer than you and I have been around, and has dedicated his life to serving the Lord. I don't think he's trying to profit from this, and I'm certainly not prepared to judge his motives. Didn't Jesus say, "If anyone's not against us, then he's for us?" I certainly believe Mr. Wilkerson is FOR the cause of Christ. Don't you? I would have thought you'd have cut the brother a little slack. P.S. I told imonk pretty much the same.

Bob Spencer said...

Hi Big "V": I suppose many of the big name prophets from Elijah List have been Christians much longer than me. I'm not worried about that at all. Most of their stuff is patently absurd and if their history shows them to be routine wrong about the voice of God over many years, that's just all the more evidence that they should be ignored. Or hooted off the stage.

As for Wilkerson, I admit I know little about him (read Cross & the switchblade in the 7th grad, lo these many years ago), so admittedly I'm painting with a broad brush here. But I do no he's had a history of "God told me" statements that turned out to be "God didn't really say that at all" statements. To be wrong frequently about what God speaks to you should teach you humility the next time you have a vivid dream in the night. Instead of piping up again with an ominous "God told me" proclamation all over again.

Finally, on the not against us must be for us thing . . . okay, but it is the nature of wolves disguised as sheep to seem to be sheep. In this case, their track record of making false statements about the very voice of God makes them very dangerous. They are lying about what God is saying, and all to aggrandize themselves (the evidence for which is there for anyone to see on their silly websites). To me, to lie about the voice of God, and for profit, is dastardly indeed.