Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chatting wtih Josh

I met with Josh Otte for coffee last week. Coffee, that is, and good conversation. Thanks for that, Josh!

Josh --if you don't know--blogs at Eucatastrophe 101. He's a great guy who has a lot of clarity on the whole "missional church" thing. He helps pastor a church in my neck of the woods (Boondocks, USA) and recently preached at his church on the subject of repentance. He posted a few thoughts on the matter here.

Oh man, I said the "m" word, didn't I?

Missional.

Although I haven't been blogging much lately, I have been thinking. Thinking about, oh, what the heck I'm supposed to be doing in this life.

My mission.

And I was reading this morning in the Gospel of Mark what Jesus had to say about that:
If anyone would come after me , let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
Yup, the way gets narrow fast right around the time Jesus says that.

Anyway, I'm still here. I want to begin to use this blog to investigate the "m" word a little more, and perhaps chronicle my attempts to live the mission. Sorry for the recent reticence. To make up the difference, I promise to be overly verbose in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the coffee was good, the conversation was great!

For God-centered 'missional church' stuff, be sure to check out Tim Chester's blog http://timchester.wordpress.com/ and his book he co-wrote with Steve Timmis, Total Church. It's by far the best book on what it means to BE the church. Too much of our talk and energy goes to how to "DO" church. That's the tail wagging the dog, man.