Monday, January 26, 2009

3 Things

1. I really like this post over at The Gospel-Driven Church. Here's a quick snip:
I have a love/hate relationship with Jesus' disciples. I love 'em because they're just like me. I hate 'em because they're just like me.

All along they're wanting the Romans physically overthrown and Jesus on a literal throne in Jerusalem, and all along Jesus is consistently telling them the kingdom of God isn't like that. No swords and horses. Palm branches and donkeys. No ear chopping. Foot washing.

So he goes all the way to the cross, dies and is buried. He resurrects three days later. And as he's ascending into heaven, they're asking, "So, um, do we get that kingdom of Israel now?"
Read the rest of it and be edified.

2. My church is starting a membership program (we never had one before now). You take 8 weeks of classes and you're a member. You choose not to take the classes, then you're just "an attender." Attenders, it is suggested, are probably unwilling to make a commitment to the church. They probably don't want to be accountable.

Anybody else have a problem with this? I'm leaning against. I've been serving in various capacities in this church for the past nine years. Heck, I've got nothing to prove. Now suddenly I'm supposed to make "a public declaration of my commitment to the church" by taking an 8-week course! Am I missing something here?

Think I'll just be an attender. Wonder if Jesus meant to say, "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give you an 8-week course with your very own 3-ring binder...."

3. I just bought a laptop. In fact, this is my first laptop, and you're reading my first blogpost produced on a laptop. Me happy! Me giddy! Me gonna be cafe-rat with a laptop, just like I always wanted!

Oh, but that's not my third thing. My third thing has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I just wanted to have a thing #3:



Bonus Thing: If you want to see a wonderful movie that is both whimsical and profound, visually stunning and deeply thoughtful about human nature, you should watch The Blue Umbrella. One of the best experiences I've ever had in front of a TV!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. yes, that was a good post.

2. well, i have not signed up to a denominational membership. my reason is that i just can not bring myself to sign something that says that i agree to belong to one denomination when i believe that i belong to the body of Christ Jesus so i figure i belong well everywhere...in Jesus. it just seems like a giant step in the wrong direction in my mind and heart.

so where ever i go, God knows where i belong and so do i. sometimes i attend a group meeting, and i know people there because i have attended many times before. the pastor considers me a part of the group, so not everyone is all about the membership thing.

i think the more places we see as being church and the more places we can see where Jesus is the better.

it's just another distraction from God's business at hand if it is taken it too seriously.

when i think of membership, i think of a club...and the word club that always takes me to a tree house, in my mind, with a bunch of kids getting ready to write down names on paper and start making club rules...like, no boys allowed or...no girls! then comes the club name...and on it goes up in the tree house until everyone gets tired and wants to play something else.

did i write all that?

anyway...you already belong.

Bob Spencer said...

Nancy, that is a wonderful response. By which I mean, I couldn't agree with you more! The core truth, I think, you expressed very well: "it's just another distraction from God's business at hand if it is taken it too seriously." Right you are!