Thursday, July 10, 2008

Yet more on being a lousy church guy . . .

You know, really, it doesn't bother me. I just hope it doesn't bother others.

I used to go to a church where the sermons where quite literally equated with the Word. To walk out on a sermon was tantamount to spitting in the face of God.

I don't think that way.

In fact, I hate to say it (no I don't), but most sermons are nothing more than earnest moralizing with a salting of Scripture for flavor-enhancement. I've had plenty to say about "legalism with a smiling face" in other posts, and will not belabor the subject again. Read about it here if you like.

I'm right there with what Nate said in his comment to the last post:
If it makes you feel any better, I go to a church where people routinely leave in the middle of sermons, come back in, leave again. I've even seen people leave fuming in anger.

I remember once hearing a sermon in a church where the pastor opened with "Now, this is not the time to tune out and stop paying attention..." And I couldn't help the thought: "It sure is if you don't say anything of real substance, bub."
Yup. I'm with you there, big time.

Actually, part of the feeling behind the choice of the name for this blog, In the Clearing, had to do with the fact that God holds us to no obligation now that we are in Christ. We're "in the clear."

If it is not so, then Christ it seems did not fulfill the law, and his cross-work was not sufficient to win for me what I could never gain on my own. This is Paul's meaning when he says, "If Christ sets you free, you are free indeed."

No obligations toward God. No obligations to love every sermon at your church. No obligation to be happy-happy about everything that goes on there.

Then there's Lois' comment yesterday.
I've learned not to expect too much from church.
I get that. I'm there. If I had one simple piece of advice for preachers, it would be this: it's a lot less important than you think it is to urge behavioral standards on your listeners (i.e., be more loving, be more generous, get into fellowship more, be more compassionate, affectionate, confidant, etc.). You could probably lay off all that and do not one whit of harm to anyone. Instead, think about finding out what the gospel has to do with our life in Christ, and preach that.

Epaphras preached the gospel to the Colossians, and as a result they were a people known for their faith and love. What did Paul call the kind of work that Epaphras did among them? He called Epaphras "a faithful minister of Christ." Epaphras ministered Christ to the Colossians by preaching the gospel among them, and it bore fruit!

Moral of the story: quit urging fruitfulness on people, and instead preach like Epaphras, ministering the grace of God in Christ. Read all about it in Colossians 1:3-8.

Oh, and one more thing: lay off the movie clips.

10 comments:

Lois said...

You said:

If I had one simple piece of advice for preachers, it would be this: it's a lot less important than you think it is to urge behavioral standards on your listeners (i.e., be more loving, be more generous, get into fellowship more, be more compassionate, affectionate, confidant, etc.). You could probably lay off all that and do not one whit of harm to anyone.

I couldnt' agree more Bob. Are we to encourage one another to good works? Of course. Expound, berate, pleade, implore, beg, I think not.

Let God do his work in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Bob, I too, have walked on a few sermons. This caused quite the debate when God called me to start and pastor a church. One of the things we do differently is teach the Bible rather than preach sermons at people. Anyway, I have enjoyed this mini-series of posts...

Bob Spencer said...

Jon, it's kind of mind-boggling to me that that is not done more often -- teach the Bible instead of preach sermons! I'm not saying there isn't a place for application, but people ought to get off the "life coaching" bandwagon and get back to, as you say, teaching the Bible!

And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's walked on a few sermons!

Anonymous said...

to tell you the truth...i have stopped payint much attention to the sermon. i do not know if that is good or bad. i do not belong to the denomination that i attend, however over time i have become bit by bit familiar with the people that attendend that gathering.

for the longest time i did not feel a part of it at all, especially when the sermon was very quaker oreiented. but, i got over that by just ignoring it.

mostly i enjoyed going to the women's fellowship that had other believers from many different backgrounds and choice of worship or fellowship, and are at many different places in their walk.

as i continued to go to the sunday gatherings, my views on how things should be and how they were was like peeling the scab off of a wound. it really bugged me. then the wound started to heal and new skin covered the place where there was a bothersom scab. i started to let go of expectations a little at a time and now i find myself in a place that i can still catch myself thinking how things can be better sometimes...but, for the most part lettng it go and discovering how God is working in the middle of the brokenness and within the way things are. i sit there and enjoy singing with other believers, the love that we are able to share with one another in greeting, getting to know eachother in our slow and cumbersom human way...but,with the light of the Lord in our eyes, and with little bits of Loving words to share and with brokenness to share as well. some of this kind of thing gets worked in between the raindrops, so to say, of the human plans like sermons, chosen songs, business news, and other things that we might see as distractions.

i feel a connection there with some of the people because of our shared belief and the Holy Spirit.

that is why i go, to gather with other believers.

last sunday they got my attention with an announcement of breakfast on the lawn to gathering and fellowship outside...they were making an effort to have people remember to bring their cereal and to notice the change of time for gathering.

one of small children in the back (there is a fast from sunday school) of the room yelled out "cereal" at the top of his lungs! and i tell you, that is all i can remember of the whole gathering. it was so uplifting!

i know i must have enjoyed other things in the time i was there, but, that really lifted me up.

and i think that i have to continue to put aside my expectations when i go to gather and that God will speak to me.

that is what i had to do to have a place in a denominational gathering...kind of like anything else, family, friends, anything anywhere. i had to come to a place where i realized that nothing is perfect, and God is still there, so that i could have a better relationship with Him in spite of the imperfections and annoyances. it all comes back to faith, hope and Love. the greatest of these being Love. Love. God-Love Power of God-Love peace-Love grace-Love non ending energy of God-Love the Holy Spirit-Love Jesus-Love the Father-Love it all comes back around to Love.

i go to the gatherings to give and receive Love...that is the best reason i have come up with for going.

and

"CEREAL"!!!!


you make me smile many times
and you have many wonderful things to say.
you make me think
i love you, brother

Anonymous said...

Maybe we could form some kind of lousy church members club... Nah, I hate clubs. :)

Out of the past 7 Sundays we've been at our "home" church once. We've been out of town some but other times we just decided not to go.

It's not just that we're not getting anything from going, but there is very little community to participate in outside of the "service". If all there is to church is singing a few songs and having some guy preach at you then why go?

Sorry to whine but I know you and the commenters here get it. Thanks.

Bob Spencer said...

Nancy, great comment. Thanks for taking the time. I'm with you in trying to find the best in it all and not be negative, realizing that nothing and no one is perfect. But it's also good to be honest and express one's thoughts. I guess I could get used to not listening to the sermons (they wouldn't be missed) but something in me longs for more than that.

Brian, yes I do understand. Many many people find themselves in a similar situation. I still believe heartily in the church, yes in far from perfect church, but that doesn't preclude frustration, concern, nor even "whining" from time to time!

Heck, there's just so much to whine about!

Lois said...

Bob, how do I email you? I want you to check out this link.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a lousy church member but it sure contributed to my current state. Let me know what you think.

http://same.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/toronto-speaks-on-deception/

Sorry it this is improper blog etiquette. You can delete if you want.

Bob Spencer said...

Lois, write me at rspencer (at) gmail.com. Glad to hear from you as usual. I'll check out the link.

Anonymous said...

The Bible is about application. Doctrine without application is fantasy...

Bob Spencer said...

I don't know that I agree with that, Jon. You said, "Doctrine without application is fantasy," which may well be, but the Bible is not pure and simply "doctrine" either. The Bible without application is still the Bible, and perhaps, on many occasions, enough.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your point here, but the Bible is the Bible, and we derive lots of "application" which is more or less our own creation, and this application part often take up 3/4 of the "Bible teaching" that we hear. My suggestion is that we spend more of our time simply retelling the Bible stories with wonder (which would be to say, staying closer to the text), stories that may often be little known to the congregation members anyway. Anyway, my take.