Wednesday, July 09, 2008

More on being a lousy church-guy

Yeah, so anyway, like I was saying, I'm a lousy church-member.

Last Sunday I did something I've never done before. The associate pastor was preaching (he's a young earnest guy), and he was running a scene from a movie to illustrate a point in his sermon.

Now, I hate that. Sorry. I just do.

And I wasn't too enthused by the sermon up to that point anyway . . . and I was sitting near the door . . . and . . . well . . . I left.

I just left.

It was a great relief.

The sermon was about fellowship, and how we should, umm, not shrink back from fellowship and all that.

I went out to the church bookstore and waited. I could hear the sermon a little, as it is shown on screens in the lobby and toddler rooms. I could hear not so much the words as the impassioned tone of urgent urging.

The movie clip was from Bella.

I missed it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you missed the clip
but you still got the message.

you crack me up, brother.

Nate said...

If it makes you feel any better, I go to a church where people routinely leave in the middle of sermons, come back in, leave again. I've even seen people leave fuming in anger.

I remember once hearing a sermon in a church where the pastor opened with "Now, this is not the time to tune out and stop paying attention..." And I couldn't help the thought: "It sure is if you don't say anything of real substance, bub."

Bob Spencer said...

Great comments from one and all. In fact, maybe I'll respond in a regular post, rather than here, but thanks to all of you.