Saturday, February 23, 2008

More on Practical Preaching

It's Saturday morning, new snow has fallen outside (so what else is new?), and soon my honey and I will be walking through the pleasantly crunchy streets of our town to have breakfast at one of our local fine dining establishments. So what the heck am I doing blogging?

Well, I'm thinking about the discussion about practical application now in progress at Dan's place and also Jared's. And thinking about practical application of the Gospel makes me think of the early part of Romans 6, where Paul says, "Look, here's what has happened to you: you have died and risen with Christ. Therefore, here's who you are: slaves of righteousness rather than slaves of sin. Therefore, here's what you should do: instead of submitting to slavery again to sin, submit yourself (your "members," everything you're made of) to God as slaves of righteousness."

That's a fair summary of the passage I think. Note: the imperative flows from the indicative, as usual. Or, as I mentioned in another post, the doing flows from the being. Note also, the application is kind of open-ended. It seems that "righteousness" is going to have to be "worked out" in different ways by different people. Paul seldom gets to the nuts-and-bolts level in his letters.

But what makes the passage difficult, I think, is that it speaks of a reality, a reality about myself, that I don't often feel. I died with Christ? I rose with Christ? Do I consistently grasp that reality. Perhaps I have not consistently felt that way since the early days of my faith, and sometimes I don't feel that way at all. The indicative part of Paul's little equation here has to be grasped by faith, apparently, and friend, my faith is weak.

That's why it's probably good to remember often with John Owen, "The duties that are required of us are not proportioned to the strength residing in us but to the supply laid up for us in Christ."

At the end of the Romans passage Paul restates the basic indicative upon which his imperatives are based. He says:
"...for sin will not have lordship over you."
Douglas Moo, in his great commentary on Romans, says of this verse, "Without this promise . . . the imperative would be futile." I think it's interesting that Paul circles back to a statement about our spiritual condition in Christ. Sometimes it may seem that sin has lordship over me, but that is simply never so for the believer. Again, it may seem so, but the truth is that in that instance we have once again submitted our members to that old boss. We didn't have to, but we did. That really sucks, but there it is.

So Paul circles back again, throughout his writing, to a restatement of the way things are. He expresses it in many ways. Here are a few of my favorites:
  • But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. Rom. 8:10
  • To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Col. 1:27
  • Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ.... Eph. 4:15
  • I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
The point is, the muck and mire of daily living can easily distract us from these heavenly realities. In the heavenlies, we are seated with Christ. But in the earthly, well, it ain't pretty. In most cases, the "already" ain't yet.

Which is why, I think, that Paul says elsewhere, "set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." You notice how so many of Paul's imperatives bring our attention back to the indicatives? I think that Paul would say that there is something very practical about setting our minds on heavenly realities. That in fact, from heaven we get the most truly realistic perspective on ourselves and our world.

This is not to argue against practical application in sermons, but I do think that the highest and correspondingly most difficult task of the preacher is to remind people and drive home to their imaginations the realities of the new birth, because all the practical advice in the world won't help if this is not first understood and grasped by faith.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i listened to an interesting spot on the radio yesterday. from what i can recall the speaker was talking about salvation in as past, present and future...justify, sanctify and glorify. in that past, we were freed from the penalty of sin. present, daily cleansing, faithful and just to keep clensing us from sin...being freed from the power of sin. aid in the sturggle and hope of future glory. future, saved from the presence of sin. no more sin no more death. eternity.


a living hope
power from God
throuth faith
to salvation

the helmet of salvation
hope of ultimate salvation

that is about all i can remember

a living hope makes me think of being a living sacrifice...being worship to God.

the word living keeps coming at me.

the living word
the living God
living water

Anonymous said...

I didn't hear that sermon, but I have been listening to an old CD of a sermon series given by James MacDonald of Harvest Bible in IL. He spoke of salvation as being the umbrella that encompasses four parts: election long ago, 2nd birth conversion/justification, sanctification throughout the born-again life, and glorification. I'm looking for some text to expand on that.

One place I looked was Ryrie's Systematic Theology. MacDonald's view wasn't addressed there that I saw, but I did come across a thought Ryrie related on evangelism, which fits with what Bob has written. The thought was that evangelism is so important that the sermons delivered in each church ought to be 75% evangelizing and 25% for the saved.

That seems like an odd mix to me, one destined to keep believers in infancy. Granted, Bob is not advocating exclusively preaching on evangelizing, but he seems to be advocating imaging the glories of Christ without working out Christ's love thru our lives. I fully agree that the recognition of Christ's glory must come first and be the lens thru which we see, but looking thru the lens should not be the end in itself, it seems to me. Wouldn't that be a form of monasticism?

Bob Spencer said...

Interesting thoughts. And yet I really didn't have "evangelistic" preaching in mind at all, if by that you mean preaching to the lost. The issue has nothing at all to do with my post. I do like James MacDonald's "umbrella" metaphor very much.

You write: "Bob is not advocating exclusively preaching on evangelizing, but he seems to be advocating imaging the glories of Christ without working out Christ's love thru our lives."

Not at all. In fact "working out Christ's love through our lives" is exactly what I'm advocating. If it seems otherwise, then I've failed to communicate my thoughts with accuracy.

Thanks for adding your voice to this conversation, George. I look forward to hearing from you again!

Anonymous said...

You notice how so many of Paul's imperatives bring our attention back to the indicatives? I think that Paul would say that there is something very practical about setting our minds on heavenly realities. That in fact, from heaven we get the most truly realistic perspective on ourselves and our world.

Amen to that! One of the dangers we face as humans is the illusion that we are self-sufficient and can do things ourselves. That's no less true when it comes to spiritual matters. I think that preachers and pastors sometimes forget this. They think that we should have our indicatives straight by now so they jump right into the imperatives. But they need to follow Paul's example a little more closely. We need constant reminding that what we do is rooted deeply in Christ and the Gospel. To divorce the two is to send us adrift in a sea of self-effort and moralisms.

Hmmm, that almost sounds like a pragmatice argument, doesn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

OK -- now I understand. I was equating envisioning the glory of God with evangelizing. Now I understand.

A (bad?) analogy might be hitting a baseball. You would start with and emphasize: Visualize the bat hitting the ball and the ball shooting out over the center fielder's head. I was saying: spend lots of time instructing on the physical fundamentals of good hitting.

Both are needed, but yours does (or should) come first and should not be neglected or short-changed.

You do nice work, Bob.

Milton Stanley said...

Your comments are spot-on and well articulated. This post reminds me of why I'm compelled to preach in the very way you describe. Thanks for the reminder, and for your continuing influence on my preaching through Mr.S, G&H, and ItC. Peace.