Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chinaberry Sidewalks

Well, all I really want to do is read books. When the weather gets nice maybe play some catch, go for some walks, but until then, read.

My mother told me when I was a kid that you could know if you're going to like a book by reading its opening paragraph. I think that's true most of the time.

Which brings me to my latest new arrival: Chinaberry Sidewalks, by Rodney Crowell. I know I'm going to like this one, because I love the opening lines:
The four beer-blitzed couples dancing in the cramped living room of my parents' shotgun duplex were wearing on my nerves. In particular, I didn't like the sound of their singing along with my prized Hank Williams 78s. Coon hunting with my grandfather, I'd heard bluetick hounds howl with more intonation than this nasal pack of yahoos.
Rewviewed at the NYTimes, the LATimes, Washington Post, The Boot, and Book Chase, among many others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is like dangling a carrot in front of the nose of a hungry horse.