Sunday, September 13, 2009

On Church Membership

The church I've attended consistently for the past ten years (until this summer) instituted a membership program about six months ago. You were to attend an 8 week class, make eight key commitments to the church (commitment to tithe, for example, and commitment to be active in at least one church ministry in the course of the year). If you did all this, you would be, officially, a member. If not, you were just an attender.

This came at a time when I was questioning much of the focus of church life there, so it was not hard for me to say “no thanks” to the whole deal. I didn't see myself making a commitment to tithe, for example, and told the pastor as much. Thus my relationship with the church seemed to change, and during the summer I've investigated some other ways of getting together with my fellow Christ-ians.

Anyway, the last time I mentioned church-membership and my distaste for it, one reader blatantly encouraged me to say more. Since this is a rare request indeed, I thought I'd take advantage:

I don't get church-membership.

I get that we Christ-ians are called into a body, and that the “local church” (I use the word local in its American churchy sense—the church I attended was by no means local in the common sense of “nearby”) is a visible manifestation of that body. That body is in fact a trans-local host of Jesus-followers, down through the ages, known sometimes as the bride of Christ, the body of Christ, Jesus People, the people of God, the invisible church, and on and on. So there's this big, millennia-spanning “cloud of witnesses,” and then there's this relatively small and local manifestation in the here and now, the local church.

To achieve membership in the trans-local church, you merely have to acknowledge that Jesus is Lord. In other words, you see in him your sole hope of mercy, and you are, we might say with Paul, transferred from one kingdom (a kingdom of darkness, leading to death) to another (a kingdom of light, leading to life). It is all by the mercy and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the king of that kingdom, and through him eternity is ours. Stored up in heaven we have rooms prepared, crowns, glories untold awaiting us, to be enjoyed forever in the presence of God.

Nice, eh? But, wait a minute, you still might not be a member of the local church. Because the local church might just have a higher standard than heaven. Are you tithing? Are you taking part in a church-based ministry? Are you attending regularly (according to to definition of the church leadership)? In the case of the church I was attending, if you make a solemn commitment to these things and five others, you're in. If not, you're out.

Does anyone else think it odd that I can say of myself, I am a child of God, a member of his family by adoption through Christ, but I am not a member of the local church, because by their standards I haven't measure up? You see, they've raised the bar a good deal higher than Jesus did.

Is this local church membership system mandated “from above” through the Word of God, or is it an institutional convenience and nothing more? Am I, apart from local church membership, in some sense less saved than I would be if I were a member? Apart from the local church, do I lose connection to the trans-local cloud of witnesses? Does everything filter down from the universal to the personal through the local church?

I just now used the term, institutional convenience. In other words, the leadership of the local church seems to need to be able to report, we have come this far, we have this many members who have taken our classes, we have measures and yardsticks and we can tell we're succeeding (or failing) by such as these. That's our system, and if you want to be one with us, you have to get in gear.

These yardsticks are intended to measure our “commitment.” The c-word was unveiled with the membership program and began to be used frequently. Commitment. Show your commitment. Are you committed to this or that? Or are you just sitting on your hands? Come on people, it's time to show your commitment! We need to buy a new sign—are you committed to evangelism (the sign will be an evangelism tool, don't you know)? So we need $38,000, because the sign must be wifi equipped, etc.

Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are doing too much, and I will give you rest." The local church says, "Come to this place called the local church, all you who are already doing too much, and we will give you even more to do."

See, once you institute these systems of behavioral measurement, you get to coaxing people to “measure up.” From membership as a measure of commitment to membership as a measure of holiness is a very small step. Do you tithe? Don't you realize that tithing is a measure of your commitment to the local church? Don't you realize the local church is the body of Christ? Hey, where's your faith, man? So what if Jesus lambasted the Pharisees for using tithing as a spiritual status-symbol, an approved measure of spiritual wellness! I mean, you don't want to be a mere attender, do you? From now on, not tithing should cause you second thoughts, pangs of guilt, and the questioning of your commitment! Do I really measure up? Is my lack of commitment showing?

Another thing: I've heard it said that for a Christ-ian all life should be ministry. But the local church likes to privilege its own organized and established ministries above all else. You have to be committed to participation in one of our church-based ministries. It simply doesn't count that you're pouring yourself out, day by day, to your children. Sorry, that just doesn't register on our membership scale. You need to come to church and fold bulletins, or pass plates, or work in the bookstore, or pull weeds in the garden, in addition to that other stuff. That way we know, we can measure it, and then we can confirm your status of membership.

As for me, I'm going to serve in the mission field to which I've been sent (my family, my town, my workplace). I'm not all that good at it, and I'm sure by any standard you can possibly name, I do not measure up. But Jesus says, I in you and you in me, and somehow that gives me hope. He's the one who measures up. I'm throwing all other yardsticks away.

20 comments:

Lore Ferguson said...

Had a conversation yesterday that said all of these things. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Erin Hope said...

so glad someone said this.
I forgot it was sunday, does that make me a heretic? : )

Bob Spencer said...

Every day's the sabbath now!

Erin Hope said...

how true. :) I had church two nights ago around a table, food, really good company, lots of laughing....and a little wine.

Rick Blake said...

I don't even know what to say.
Even so come Lord Jesus?

The church sometimes is hard to distinguish from the world.

All I hear from the Lord these days is keep my eyes on him.
Lois

Anonymous said...

i appreciate this post because of the personal experiences that you have told. it is a real and true story of you that people can relate to.

thanks for sharing that.

Bob Spencer said...

Thanks, Nancy. Lois, that's it! Look to Jesus. All that you prize you'll find in him.

jeff weddle said...

I read once that the scriptural basis for membership was in the book of Acts where they "cast lots." Apparently some interpret this to mean "raise hands" as in vote! I about fell out of my chair when I read that one.

The problem is one of commitment and making sure you have people who will fill the roles the church demands who won't molest children or some other stupid thing. I've avoided membership in our church (I'm the pastor who has not pushed it and we don't have it) but I can see why others do. It's a forced way to make people do what they won't do naturally. Seems like a shortcut that is not biblical and no doubt quenches the Spirit.

Nate said...

Hence the growing recognition of Western Christendom and its local churches as a field in need of missionaries. Jesus plus nothing, as Jared Wilson likes to say!

Nate

A. Amos Love said...

Bob

Excellent words wonderfully said.

Titheing? Hmmm?
Did anyone tithe silver, gold or money in the Bible?

In the Bible, How many people...
have the title pastor?

In the Bible, How many people are...
referred to as pastor?

In the Bible, How many people are...
ordained as a pastor?

In the Bible, How many congregations are...
led by a pastor?

Jesus warned us about making “the word of God”
of non effect through our traditions; Yes?
Mk 7:14

KJV - Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition...

ASV - Making “void” the word of God
by your tradition...

NIV - Thus you “nullify” the word of God
by your tradition...

What if "The Whole Religious system,"
for the past 1700 years,
is totally corrupt?

Corrupt - Dictionary

1- having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain.

2- in a state of decay; rotten or putrid.

3- debased or made unreliable
by errors or alterations.


And other sheep I have,
which are not of this fold:
them also I must bring,
and they shall hear my voice;
and there shall be one fold,
and one shepherd.
John 10:16

One Fold - One Shepherd - One Voice.

If Not Now, When?

In His Service. By His Grace.

Nick said...

A. Amos Love -
Tithing? How about Abraham? Or how about the nation of Israel? To the point where God says that if someone withholds the tithe they are stealing from Him (Malachi 3:10).
I don't personally think tithing is a requirement of NT Christianity, but I do believe that giving is, as God loves a cheerful giver (2.Cor 9:7). I, as a pastor, do tithe, bc I believe this is something which not only benefits the church, but benefits me, as it teaches me to be less selfish.

Title of Pastor? In Greek (and many other languages) the words Shepherd and Pastor are the same. So, yes, many people had the title of pastor, and it is used throughout the NT: Acts 20, Eph 4, etc...

Jesus accused the Jewish Pharisees of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish their tradition (ESV - Mark 7:9). Read it in context, and you will see what they were doing which was so wrong was twisting the wording of the commandment, so that they didn't have to keep it - finding a loophole in other words. Not so different than what you are doing yourself...

Hebrews 10:25 says that we should not forsake the gathering of ourselves together. The word gathering is the same word as congregating, i.e. church.
If you think the church is so corrupt, maybe you should start your own. Many others have done that before. The only problem with that, is that eventually others will judge you and call you corrupt as well...

Bob Spencer said...

Let me throw in my 2cents worth here. I don't believe the church is particularly corrupt. It is no more corrupt in its present form than it would be in any other form you could name.

Also, I'm not against voluntary tithing. Not at all. My point had to do with making tithing a requirement of membership in a church.

And as for congregating together, I'm all for it. I don't think the word, whether in Greek or English, necessarily or exclusively applies to Sunday morning gatherings in what we call "church," but it certainly includes that. The term can apply to any kind of gathering. The point is, we need each other, and we shouldn't foresake gathering together as a body of believers. The NT is pretty dang clear about that. I'm for it with all my heart!

Bob Spencer said...

Oh, 1 more thing. I've got no problem with pastors. None whatsoever. Until we are all grown into the fullness of Christ, we will always need leaders, mentors, shepherds, teachers, etc. Doesn't matter what you call 'em, functionally speaking, there is a place--a key place--for leadership.

Milton Stanley said...

Bob, you're definitely on to something in your observations (pretty much all of them). If I may use an old cliche, what you seem to be having trouble with is more Churchianity than Christianity.

A Christian is, mystically and of necessity, a member of the universal and invisible church, the body of Christ. At the same time we ordinarily are part of a local congregation gathered regularly in worship. I say ordinarily because there may be times when we are isolated from a local congregation for whatever reason. But if we are part of the mystical body, clearly we gather to worship and fellowship in a local body.

The problem you describe is really profound. If the life of discipleship by necessity includes involvement in a local congregation, then how can the leaders of a local congregation possibly justify adding more requirements to be a "member" of that congregation than God himself requires to be part of the mystical body of Christ? However well intentioned such efforts may be, they are, quite simply, misguided and sinful.

This is the problem I have with the whole Purpose Drive Church concept. Rick Warren has come up with very well developed and effective systems for guiding members into the life of discipleship. Certainly churches in the USA have a problem with commitment and growth, so if more churches followed PDC methods, we would surely be more successful in building measurable, visible discipleship. The only problem is that in an institutional sense the PDC method is asking more of Christians that God himself does in the New Testament (which, for example, as AAL perhaps meant to point out above, doesn't call on Christians to tithe, or to commit to work in a particular program).

You may recall that in Acts 2, three thousand souls were added to the church simply by virtue of being baptized in faith. That, by the way, is the "membership" standard still used today by Churches of Christ, which don't think it's the business of human beings to demand more of God's children than our Lord himself does.

The NT gives us a sketchy but comprehensive picture of what the church ought to be. At its most fundamental the church is a gathering of saints in worship of God. We also join together in common edification, evangelism, and mutual aid. In certain extreme instances the church should even work together to exclude a member if he or she persists in flagrant disobedience. But I simply can't imagine the apostles or elders in the early church denying a fellow Christian full membership in the body of Christ because he doesn't drop enough denari in the offering tin or pull up enough weeds around Solomon's Portico. Granted, lying about how much money you gave to God might get you killed, but I just don't see the apostles as the "Come on, gang, work harder!" types.

I wish I had time to give a more full and complete answer to your thoughts, but I will leave you with what I hope is an exhortation and encouragement for you: please don't allow those who misguidedly place their own man-made burdens on fellow Christians to keep you from committing to worship and serve with a local body of believers. There's an enormous amount of sin and abuse in local churches, but please don't throw away the baby with the bath water.

Peace.

M

A. Amos Love said...

Bob - Nick

Tithing?

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear.
The question asked is;
Did anyone tithe silver, gold or money in the Bible?

Bob
“I'm not against voluntary tithing.”

Nick
“How about Abraham? Or how about the nation of Israel?
To the point where God says that if someone withholds
the tithe they are stealing from Him (Malachi 3:10)“

It seems in the OT the tithe was always food;
seed of the land, fruit of the tree or animals. Never Money.
It was to be eaten or burnt for sacrifice.
It was for you and your household to eat,
to learn to fear the LORD and for orphans and Levites.

Deuteronomy 14:22
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. 24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Malachi 3:10
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse,
that there may be meat (food) in mine house...
The tithe was always food, never money.

Nick - Check out who the prophet Malichi is speaking to.
It seems to be the Levitical priests who were sacrificing
blind and lame animals to God and they were under a curse.

Malachi 1:8
And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil?
and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil?...

Malachi 2:1
And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.
2 If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart,
to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts,
I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings:
yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

Didn’t you ever wonder why the New Testament
has so little teaching about tithing?

With all the instructions Paul gave to believers,
he never asked them to tithe.
The Jerusalem council in Acts 15
never asks the new gentile believers to tithe.

Neither does Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Timothy,
James or Jesus ask believers to tithe.

When did the tithe become money?

When did a 501 (c) (3) non profit, tax deductible,
religious corporation, become the storehouse?

Be blessed in your search for truth....Jesus.

A. Amos Love said...

Bob - Nick - Milton

You mentioned “the church” or “local church.”
I don’t think I mentioned “the church.”Did I ?
And can you find “local church” in the KJV?

Bob
“I don't believe the church is particularly corrupt.”

Nick
“If you think the church is so corrupt,
maybe you should start your own.”

Milton
“There's an enormous amount of sin and abuse in local churches.”
Much agreement. And we’re talking about abuse of people sheep.
Not babies and bath water.

The questioned I asked is about “The Religious Sytem.”

What if "The Whole Religious system,"
for the past 1700 years,
is totally corrupt?

I don’t believe “The Church of God” is corrupt at all.

Now, “The Institutional Church” is another story. Yes?
Just go through IC history. Corruption after corruption. Yes?
Rome, Luther, Anglicans, and on and on. 1700 Years worth.

The challenge we have is;
What is “The Chuch of God?”

Hmmm? A simple word, church?
What do most people understand
the word “church” to mean?

Building with a steeple on it?
Is that in the Bible?

Pastor in a pulpit preaching to people in pews?
Is that in the Bible?

That’s what the world thinks,
the unbelievers, isn’t it?

Isn’t that what the so called “local church”
has accomplished with four buildings on
four corners in a lot of “local towns?”

Haven't we deceived the people
we’re supposed to be reaching out to?

How many will know that “The Church of God?”
The ekklesia of God? The called out one’s of God?

Are the habitation of God? Where He dwells?

The redeemed of the Lord? By His blood.

The body of Christ? Purchased with His blood.

The Israel of God?

And Jesus is the head of the body; the church?

Does God dwell in buildings made with
the hands of men? Or does He dwell in us?

Did Jesus shed His blood for;
a building, a denomination,
an institution, an organization, a corporation?
Should we call a corporation, The Church?

Will people know that “The Church of God?”

Are kings and priests unto God?

The bride of Christ?

The servants of Christ?

The sons of God?
Led by the spirit?
Or led by man?

Disciples of Christ?
Learners and students of Christ?

Ambassadors for Christ?

How many will know, in the Bible,
no one ever went to church?

How many will know, in the Bible,
you become “the Church?”

And hear His voice? And follow Him?

Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice,
that he might instruct thee.
Deuteronomy 4:36

Thank you Jesus.

Bob Spencer said...

Milton, thanks for the wise words. I'm here to assure you that I'm not turning my back on the local congregation at all. In fact, due to now being told I am a mere attender and not a member, I'm more determined than ever to live out the one-anothers in community. I'm probably seeking that community in a greater variety of ways than before, and perhaps Sunday morning worship has become less central to all that, at least for now. Most Sundays I'm in a church, and I get together with fellow-believers often. I guess I'm working at my salvation, just like the rest of us. In fear and trembling.

AAL, I think you may be making more of a disntinction between the corruption in the "IC" and the corruption of the human heart than I would make. The "IC" is no more corrupt than I am, or a local house church, etc. I'm with you on the tithing thing, though. Anyway, that's my take, for what it's worth. We all navigate these waters with much uncertainty. Be blessed.

Bob Spencer said...

Oh, I meant working OUT my salvation. Like Paul. Sheesh!

A. Amos Love said...

Bob - Amen

"We all navigate these waters with
much uncertainty."

I have seen men try to navigate the dangers of "Titles," and of being a "Pastor/Leader."
Spiritual abuse for both the "Pastor/Leader"
and those “being pastored and led” by a man.
My conclusion is the word and position
of “Pastor/leader” is very, very dangerous
for both.

I'm not not new to "ministering healing"
to those who have been abused
by those who "thought” they were
“Pastors” and “leaders."

Folks who've been burnt, burnt out, kicked out,
or crawled out of "the religious system"
with it's leaders, spiritual authority, and other
"heavy weights" put on folks shoulders.

I also spend a fair amount of time with pastors,
"so called leaders," who can't do it anymore.

Trying to run the show, please so many masters and realizing they didn’t even qualify to be an elder.

Trying to “please” the denominational leaders,
the congregation and it's leaders,
and of course Jesus.
Who is often relegated to last place. Hmmm?

Serving three masters, that's tough; Yes?
Preaching every week... and it better be good,
being the CEO, the team leader, councilor,
smiley face. etc.

If "pastors" and “leaders”
(as we see them today) are of God?
He's not taking very good care of His shepherds;
Is He?.
Hmmm? Wonder why?

This is info from a website
helping “burned out Pastors.”

PastorCare offers support and encouragement
for pastors and their families.

At PastorCare we care about YOU
and we want to help.

http://www.pastorcare.org/PastorCare/About_Us.html

According to the Francis A. Schaeffer
Institute of Church Leadership (2007)

• 77% say they do “not” have a good marriage.
• 71% have felt burned out or depressed.
• 70% have no one they consider a close friend.
• 38% are divorced or seriously considering divorce.

According to the
Ministering to Ministers Foundation...

• Over 1600 pastors in the U.S. are forced out
of their positions each month.

• Nearly 1 in 4 pastors experience a forced termination
at least once during their ministry.

•Only 54% of pastors go back into
full-time church related positions.

Think we might have a problem Bob?
70% of pastors are depressed or burnt out.
Don't have a close friend. Hmmm?

That's who is running the show. “Leadership?”
That's who is abusing God's sheep.
I have been both abused and the abuser.
It’s not pretty.

1600 pastors a month, that's 19,000 a year,
leave or are pushed out. Wow!!!
That's a lot of broken hearts, disappointments,
feelings of failure, pain, abuse.

Hmmm? Pastor? Leader?
is this a “Title” or "position" in the scriptures?

1 - In the Bible, How many people...
have the title pastor?

2 - In the Bible, How many people are...
referred to as pastor?

3 - In the Bible, How many people are...
ordained as a pastor?

4 - In the Bible, How many congregations are...
led by a pastor?

Bob, I do think the word “Pastor/leader"
is dangerous.
It creates "honor" whether we want "honor" or not.
Jesus said, "I receive not honor from men."
"If I honor myself, my honor is nothing."
"Pastor/leader" becomes a position of honor.
Warning, Warning, Warning...

"Titles" become idols and
"Pastors" become masters.

Leaders = lord it over = abuse = always

And other sheep I have,
which are not of this fold:
them also I must bring,
and they shall hear my voice;
and there shall be one fold,
and one shepherd.
John 10:16

One Fold - One Shepherd - One Voice.
If Not Now, When?

Bob Spencer said...

Sure sounds like something is broken, doesn't it? I take your point.