Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Six

  1. Imonk's new hot button. As usual, I'm in more-or-less complete agreement.
  2. At Blog One Another, 14 Reasons to Stop Evangelizing Your Friends. Controversial, I suppose. But I'm fine with the gist of it.
  3. John Frye says,
    I maintain that when the USAmerican evangelical church became enamored with political clout and sought “to change America” or to use politics “to give America back to God,” we forfeited our truest and deepest freedom for a pathetic, temporal substitute. We became slaves to a political gospel which has no power to change lives. The clarion freedom declarations of Galatians 5:1 and 13-14 were pawned away for Republican votes. We felt we needed senators, not pastors and evangelists; we needed representatives, not prophets and apostles; we needed Supreme Court justices, not teachers and missionaries. Ah, yes, get out and vote! Not, drop to your knees and pray.
    Read it all at his fine blog, Jesus the Radical Pastor.
  4. Perhaps you've seen this by now, but I just want to register my approval of The Jesus Manifesto. It's a declaration of intent to reJesus the church. Not a bad idea!
  5. Cookiesday asks six really good questions. We should all (not just preachers) be asking the same.
  6. Nancy's farewell to blogging. :-(

1 comment:

Jon Reid said...

Bob, thanks for the link to my "14 Reasons…" The background behind the controversial title is that so much stuff was drilled into me for years — not just what most people acknowledge as pushy, but standard conservative evangelical teaching. I got away from it by promising myself that I would "stop evangelizing" if that's what "evangelizing" was.