Saturday, July 18, 2009

Doesn't it seem odd . . . ?

Michael Spencer is always saying things that I wish I'd said, and have often tried to say, but Michael says it much more clearly and simply. Here's an example. In regard to worship music, concerning which I recently posted this, Michael says,
Doesn’t it seem odd to sing man-centered songs with almost no mention of the Gospel and not even notice that our affections aren’t being directed toward Christ at all? I like a tune and a fun chorus. I like to see people involved emotionally, but the New Testament has entire hymns explaining the incarnation and none about “the secret place.” I’m just sayin…
Yup, it sure does seem odd.

Michael makes nine other good points, so go read it, please.

5 comments:

ricki said...

I think I get the intent here and agree with the general "watchout" but (1) I don't find the practice common where I fellowship and (2) regarding the "secret place", try the following:

1 Sam 19.2 - an allusion to a place of refuge and safety which of course for us we think of the safety and rest found in God.
Psa 81.7; 91.1; Song 2.14 - direct application
Jer 13.17 - an allusion to a deep place of the soul from which we worship and repent

So yes, I agree the new testament does not have the phrase "secret place" but what's the point?

Bob Spencer said...

I think the point of mentioning that that there are no hymns about the secret place, while there are hymns or hymn-excerpts about Jesus, is to indicate a trend or proclivity in our hymnody that makes us and our own worshbipful attitude so often the subject of the singing. And the real point is, this seems odd.

Nothin' against the "secret place" mind you. Like Michael, I'm just sayin.

ricki said...

Yeah - that's why I started by saying I get the intent. I'm just not sure this is a new trend. I remember back in the 80's us Vineyard guys saying there too many songs about God rather than to God. We thought we were onto something new and years later I realize it's just another timeless reminder about balance.

Songs to God are great. Songs about God are great. Songs about us in relationship to God are great. And no songs is also great.

:)

Bob Spencer said...

I like your attitude, Rick! I didn't mean to make a bigger issue out of this than it actually is. It's just kind of something that hits home for me right now, the lack of balance. I don't know if it's worse now than ten or twenty years ago, but it's just something I've been noticing, and those songs just aren't doing anything for me on an emotional level at all.

Anonymous said...

i can identify with the theme of balance, for in my life it seems like i go into the ditch...get off track... if i do not take the time every day to focus on relating with God and to read some of the word.

nAncY