Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"An overwhelming commandment"

This little firecracker in the woodshed of a quote comes from John Piper's What Jesus Demands of the World:
The second commandment seems to me to be an overwhelming commandment. It seems to demand that I tear the skin off my body and wrap it around another person so that I feel that I am that other person; and all the longings that I have for my safety and health and success and happiness I now feel for that other person as though he were me. It is an absolutely staggering commandment. If this is what it means, then something unbelievably powerful and earthshaking and reconstructing and overturning and upending will have to happen in our souls. Something supernatural. Something well beyond what self-preserving, self-enhancing, self-exalting, self-esteeming, self-advancing, fallen human beings like me can do on their own.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just ain't natural to live a supernatural life!!

I am really enjoying your blog, it is open honest and unassuming. May God bless you in your search to love and serve Him.

Willoh, wyoming area, 73, Wilkes 78,
Pastor Dayspring Bible Chapel, formerly Wyoming Valley Baptist, on river road in Plains

Anonymous said...

or maybe something "believeably" powerful...

josh o. said...

Those are truth-brimming words! Really encourages me to love only through the Spirit's empowering. I'll always come up short otherwise.

Bob Spencer said...

Willoh, I don't run into too many from "the Valley." Good to hear from a homeboy! WVW '74.