Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Grasping Grace

Yesterday I tried to write a post about grace. It was long and somewhat rambling, but I was trying to get at something, to make a point that seemed important to me. Then, today, I checked in on Matthew's blog, The Gospel Muse, and discovered that someone else had said it all so much better than I had:
In this life, we never quite get over grace, we never entirely grasp it, we never really learn it. It always takes us by surprise. Again and again we have to be conquered and captivated by its totality. The transition will never be completed this side of the grave. The Christian can never presume to be on the glory road, nor to reach a stage, which now forms the basis for the next stage, which can be left behind. The Christian who is grasped by the totality of grace always discovers the miracle anew. One is always at a new beginning. Grace is new everyday. Like the manna in the wilderness, it can never be bottled or stored. Yesterday’s grace turns to poison. By the same token, however, the Christian never has an endless process of sanctification to traverse. Since the totality is given, one knows that one has arrived. Christ carries the Christian totally.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post very much.

I like the honesty and the realization that because our sinful nature stays with us this side of the grave, that we need to be hear the gospel(grace)over and over again.

Thanks much!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's good stuff. And definitely what I need to hear. Now all I need is a church where that is the prevailing attitude...

Bob Spencer said...

Great to hear from both of you. Brian, I like your phrase, "prevailing attitude." Exactly. That's what we're looking for.

Steve, I agree completely. We need to understand our own, shall we say, dense-headedness. What we really GET today, tomorrow we completely miss.

Answer, soak your self in Gospel truths every day.

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the Forde quote, Bob.
Peace,
Matthew