Thursday, August 21, 2008

On Christian Reading Habits

Most of my Christian friends think reading is very good for them, like daily exercise or eating your vegetables. They try to do it. They often say, "I wish I had the time to read more . . . " They start many more books than they finish. They like books that affirm them and tell them they're princes and princesses, rugged adventurers or lovely to the core. In other words, they look for books that tell them what they want desperately to be told (a phenomenon mis-labeled "encouragement" in Christian circles).

I almost never run into guys in the church who read novels. Sometimes they'll read history or self-improvement. Some are into politics. Few indulge themselves in mere fiction. This has been my experience, but I don't know for sure that it's representative. Whatever happened, I sometimes wonder, to getting lost in a good book.

I know some adults who say they wish they were better readers. I tell them to read something that will capture their imagination, rather than trying to slog through another forgettable self-improvement best-seller or theologically dubious book about spiritual warfare or something. Get into a ripping good yarn.

But you know what? No one has ever taken my advice.

Anyway, a co-worker of mine has been raving about a novel called Child 44. I finally took her advice and started reading it, and all I have to say is, I'm good and lost. I believe the commonplace reviewer's term is "gripping." I'm not normally into harrowing murder mysteries, but this one, taking place against the brilliantly-drawn backdrop of Stalinist Russia, is simply very difficult to put down.

2 comments:

Lois said...

How about My Name is Asher Lev or The Gift of Asher by Chaim Potok.
Awesome ,awesome books.

I won't mention that I've read much chick lit this summer and loved every mindless minute.

One of my fondest memories is sitting in my crab apple tree when I was young and reading Gone With the Wind. What a memory!!!

Bob Spencer said...

Yup, there's nothing quite like those memories. Tobe young and captivated by a book, that is special. I remember going to the zoo with my family but spending most of the day sitting at a picnic table reading The Hobbit. The creatures in that book were far more interesting than anything in those cages!

BTW, you're a "chick" so you're reading chick-lit. Seems quite natural to me. I'm sorry to say I've never read those Chaim Potok books, though I've often been told I should. And one of these days will do so! So many books, so little time!