Saturday, August 30, 2008

Take 5 [Links]

So I'm back for one more post before heading out for a brief vacation. I didn't want to go before making note of some of the really excellent blogposts I've been reading lately.

1. Jollyblogger. I think the two of us started blogging in the same year, him a few months before me. David is one of the really fine Christian bloggers out there. His content is always engaging and quite diverse. Just scan his blog and you'll see what I mean. Meaty posts on on every imaginable topic (it seems), expressing thoughts that you just had never considered before. Good stuff! But the post I want to direct your attention to is Ten Things I think about the Spirit World and Spiritual Warfare. The "ten things" are sequential, so you have to read them in order, but I really love points 5, 6, and 7.

2. Ray Ortlund. The man oozes wisdom. Read his fine post, Quietness of Heart, the first in a series. His advice: remember the sabbath and keep it holy.
If we did set apart as holy one day each week, we would add to every year, for the rest of our lives, over seven weeks of vacation. And not for goofing off, but for worship, for fellowship, for mercy, for an afternoon nap, for reading a theological book, for thinking about God and taking stock of our lives, for lingering around the dinner table and sharing good jokes and tender words and personal prayers.
3. Justin Childers is a new discovery for me. His blog is called CROSS-eyed, and it's a good one. Read his 7 Interpretive Helps for Revelation. I really wish people would read The Revelation more often and with more humility (interpretive help # 4). It is not as difficult a book as we often think, but it may be the most misused and abused book in the entire canon. Justin's fifth point, btw, would put to rest a lot of nonsense . . . oh, but I won't get started on that. Also, you might read Justin's follow-up post, 25 Glories of Jesus Christ in Revelation 1. Yup, Justin is right. The Revelation is all about Jesus! Imagine that. [HT: Dave Cruver.]

4. Jesus the Radical Pastor. I mean, the man blogs poetry! Check out The Last Election, to which I say, Amen to that.

5. Vikingson's Place. This is another new discovery. He's lately been writing about why he considers himself "post-charismatic" (Part 1, Part 2). I'm right there with you, dude.
I am done taking shortcuts. I am done cutting corners. I am done with Christian entertainment. I will never again wait in line to get in to a conference or revival to see God move. I will not drive an inch, to see something powerful or hear from fantastic prophets speaking with great accuracy. I will not pay a dime for a book filled with amazing stories about the super natural.

When it’s all said and done, we don’t want to follow Jesus. We have little or no interest in becoming disciples but do entertain me, please, tickle me, thrill me, fill me, anoint me, me, me, me, me. Make me powerful, important, please let me experience something great, my faith would be so strong. Bless me with money so I can travel around the country to see Your power. Me, me, me, me…
[HT: Nate the Great.]

No comments: