Monday, June 09, 2008

Good Book Alert: Start Here, by Don Williams


Last week I began reading a book called Start Here: Kingdom Essentials for Christians, by Don Williams. It is a sort of fundamental introduction to the "essentials" of life in Christ. I'm really enjoying this book, especially Williams' personal reminiscences of the Jesus movement of the '60s.

Wondering what bloggers, if any, have been saying about this book, I did a little blogsearch on Google, and lo and behold discover that Mark D. Roberts has done a four part series on it (herein I discovered, btw, that Williams is Mark's uncle!).

Anyway, I was going to say all sorts of nice things about this book, but find that Roberts has already done so. For example:
Part of what I find so compelling about Start Here is its dogged insistence that the Christian life really should be what Jesus and the New Testament reveal it to be. Williams refuses to do what many of us, myself included, find so tempting, namely to truncate the Christianity to fit the limited categories of our own experience. Rather, he challenges us to consider what it might be like to take seriously the proclamation and the presence of God's kingdom today.
Exactly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i might read the four part that you linked.

in the meantime i am gonna direct you to paul's blog today because you two are kinda on the same page. again.

http://www.sacredvapor.com/?p=54#comment-1537


hope you two don't mind me pointing out your posts to one another.

shalom