Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Revival?

I've been wondering if I should say something here about the "revival" going on down in Lakeland. Some of my friends are just way excited about this stuff. Me, I don't want to be a wet blanket or something, so I've been operating under the Grandma rule: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Well, but the problem with that is, people sometimes mistake a smiling reticence for approval. Furthermore, I just read Jared's post on the same subject, and I just want to say, Yeah. Me too.

I've watched a little of the video, listened to and watched some of the impresario's preaching, and read a few pro and con bloggers, etc. All I can tell you is, if feelings are worth anything at all, this guy gives me the creeps. This whole thing give me the creeps.

That's all. I just had to get it out.

PS. Charisma Magazine editor J. Lee Grady is open but cautious about it all. His point of view is worth reading.

6 comments:

Lois said...

This is the stuff I am running hard and fast away from.

I spent too many years following after signs and wonders and it never satisfies. I am embarrased when I watch that stuff and realize that I was part of it at one time.

I am grateful God has delivered me out of that.

Give me Jesus any day. If I never see another 'miracle' in my lifetime it will be all right with me I will still say 'take the world but give me Jesus'.

It makes me cringe and my heart aches for many of my friends and brothers and sisters in the Lord who I know are still captivated by this....all under the guise of 'you are my magnificent obsession'. NOT -and they don't even know it.

Sorry if I'm rambling but I've got so much emotion around this so called 'revival'.....

Bob Spencer said...

Lois, there's not a thing to apologize for here. I'm with you on this. You and I have clearly been tracking in the same direction.

Anonymous said...

I love that Lois. Jesus is all we need. I am glad for the miraculous, but Jesus is my life. Healing, miracles, gold teeth, all great, but not compared to know Him.

Anonymous said...

I posted the comment from Lois on my Blog. it was moving to my heart.
www.nateelarton.typepad.com

Bob Spencer said...

Thanks, Pastor Nate.

Anonymous said...

This whole thing give me the creeps

Ditto.

It just seems to me(so take that fwiw) that in these types of revivals everyone is seeking after an experience. Show me a revival where the focus is not on what is done to me but rather is outward focused and then I might give it more credence. Until then...