Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Gospel is an Open Vision: Part 3 in the Mission and Vision Series

I'm continuing now with my series of posts on my church's new mission and vision statements, but first a brief explanatory interjection is needed.

I just wanted to mention that these posts represent my own effort to engage intellectually with this "recalibration" of the church's mission and vision, in order to find out more clearly just what I think of it. I have no wish to be argumentative or hyper-critical, but I do want to be honest. I am actually encouraged by this "recalibration" process, because as my pastor enunciates his vision for the church, it will perhaps clarify and confirm my own inklings, and also disconfirm others. In the end, I will know my own church better, and know where I myself stand.

So, all this having been said, on to the new "vision statement" of the church:
To be a people for Christ, for the kingdom, and for the world.
My thoughts: first off, I really don't understand the difference between a mission statement and a vision statement. Note that this vision statement is a lot more concise than the mission statement, having very much the quality of a campaign slogan. On the other hand, the statement is simple and direct, puts Christ first, reminds us that our purpose is wrapped up closely with the kingdom that Christ himself inaugurated, and in its final clause ("for the world") works against separatist tendencies. We are, in a real sense, implementers of God's redemptive purpose for the world.

So, for what it's worth, the vision statement is fine with me. But the real question may be, just what is it worth? My pastor has promised to deal with ten specific implications of this statement in the next five sermons. I'm looking forward to it.

A note about one of the verses that my pastor referred to in this presentation of the new vision statement. That is, of course, Prov. 29:18.
Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.
Look, I've got nothing against "vision casting" (notwithstanding the interesting and somewhat less sanguine attitude expressed at Anti-Itch Medication), but it should probably be kept in mind that God is the great vision-caster. Note that the above verse closely connects "prophetic vision" with law-keeping. Then remember that Jesus Christ is our law-fulfiller. Of this verse the great Matthew Henry said,
How bare does a place look without Bibles and ministers! and what an easy prey is it to the enemy of souls! That gospel is an open vision, which holds forth Christ, which humbles the sinner and exalts the Saviour, which promotes holiness in the life and conversation: and these are precious truths to keep the soul alive, and prevent it from perishing.
I repeat: "the gospel is an open vision." And I'm satisfied with that.

[BTW, the first post in this series is here, and the second here.]

No comments: