Saturday, July 07, 2007

Saturday Bookish

Finished Little, Big yesterday. What a book. I don't think I actually understand what happened in the end, and my first thought was, "Well now, that's one I'm going to have to reread in a year or so." Nevertheless, I loved it for being one of those books that seems to prod awake the sleepy imagination.

And in fact that's the only kind of fiction I want to read. I find that I wake up to this world after I've spent some time in one of these fictional other worlds. But I may be one of the few Christians who thinks that way, judging from the LibraryThing Unsuggester. That's where you find out what books are least likely to be in the same collection with the title you have selected. Start with a book you like, and you'll come up with a list of books that(in theory) you probably won't kije. Thing is, this doesn't seem to work for me. For example, I notice that most of the 71 books in the Unsuggester list for Little, Big are Christian titles, often by authors I greatly admire. There are quite a few John Piper titles there, not to mention Yancey, Tozer, et al. First on the list is Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. Hmm, I've read that. And first on the Piper book's Unsuggester list is Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. Sheesh, I've read that, too.

I think what I'm learning is, I have really unusual reading habits, for a Christian.

No comments: