Saturday, March 03, 2007

Reader Recommendations

All I really want to do is compile a list, I guess. Milton's suggestion that I ask someone whose judgement I respect is a good one, but what usually happens then is I write the title down on a scrap of paper and then promptly misplace it. Now let's see, what did I do with it? It's got to be around here somewhere!

Well, if I do ever find it, the thing to do is to add it to my growing list. That's what applications like LibraryThing and Reader2 are all about I guess.

Another thing. Among my trusted acquaintances are bloggers, who often recommend books or list their favorites on their sidebars. Mark Lauterbach, for example. On his sidebar reading list I find this interesting sounding title: The Great Giveaway: Reclaiming the Mission of the Church from Big Business, Parachurch Organizations, Psychotherapy, Consumer Capitalism, And Other Modern Maladies.

Sam Storms also provides a nice list at his website, as I recall (except that I'm not going to go to it just now because his drop-down menus only work in IE--fix that, Sam, willya?). And recently I've stumbled upon Tim Keller's urban church planting movement newsletter, which is valuable for many reasons, not the least of which might be the brief reading list that appears with each issue. That's where I found this intriguing list of resources for Gospel interpretation.

Okay, so let's say I get serious about scanning these lists for worthy additions to my list. And let's say LibraryThing is my chosen storage place for that list. I'm making progress!

No comments: