Monday, January 15, 2007

Build A Bible: The Word as Fashion Accessory

It's pretty easy, and even somewhat beguiling, to scoff at "Christian culture" in America. I don't listen to much Christian contemporary music, go often to Christian concerts, or read Christian fiction, because it all seems rather schlocky to me, and partakes of the same questionable promotional schemes common to non-Christian commercial enterprises.

Nevertheless, as I said, I don't want to make a habit of criticizing all this here at the blog. But (and you had to know that a "but" was coming) I just want to share one particular advertisement with you. It is an ad for something called Build A Bible, put out by Boardman Holman. You've probably already guessed that it's one of those schemes to package the Scriptures in a new, fresh and "comtemporary" way. You know, no more the somber black leather covers. How about a duct tape Bible, a metal Bible, etc. Well, the "Build A Bible" is a "design system" in which you the consumer "customize" your Bible in the color schemes, textures, and accesories of your choice.

Okay, fine, I guess. But here's the actual "copy" from a print ad for this "Bible design system." We have the lovely Jennifer O'Neill holding up a soft green Bible with a brown leather-ish clasp. She's quoted thus:
What I love about my Build A Bible is that it's just so Me! [That's right, a capital M!] It's the perfect fit. Build A Bible lets me personalize my Bible with the cover styles, colors, textures and accesories that make it a statement of who I am and where I am going. Finally, I can change the look and feel of the most important book I own... whenever and where ever I want.
I suppose I shouldn't care. This shouldn't matter to me. But does anyone else feel just a little affronted by this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same as you do, Bob. I can barely walk into a Christian bookstore anymore for all the junk on sale. It makes me angry to see people using Christ's name and His word just to make a buck -- or as the case may be, millions of bucks.