Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thank God for Books!

Taking a break from the discussion concerning when to leave (or not leave) a church, let me tell you about the books I'm reading!

First off, recommended by Jared Wilson, I've started in on my first N. T. Wright book:Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship. The first line in the book: "The longer you look at Jesus, the more you will want to serve him in his world."



Next, after looking around pretty carefully for a book on The Revelation of John, I chose Dennis Johnson's Triumph of the Lamb.



Last week I was browsing the shelves of my local public library. That's when I stumbled upon The Faith and the Power, by James D. Snyder. This is a great read. Snyder's method is to tell the story of the first century church along side the story of first century Rome and its politics. All I've got to say is, Caligula was certainly a nasty fellow.



Finally, I picked this one up for half-price at the church bookstore: Finding Deeper Intimacy with God, by John Guest. I wasn't really expecting much, to tell you the truth, but now I remember that it's always good to get back to basics when it comes to prayer. Guest recommends something that has been a great boon to me for some time now. That is, praying according to the pattern laid down by Jesus in "the Lord's prayer." Anyway, this is a wonderful book from which I will no doubt be sharing in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am reading the book "same kind of different as me." ron hall and denver moore.

very good.